Still from "Faux"

Still from "Faux"
Photo by Elisabeth Fies

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

No more emo!

The sun is shining brightly, the birds are singing. I'm recovering from a cold, but some how feel better than ever.

Maybe it's this, or maybe it's that, but I'm happy.

Professionally, 2010 has been an amazing year. It all started with the completion of Round 1 on the Red Reaper re-shoots - which went beautifully. Then I took the leading role in Bite Nite - flew to Philly in early February and knocked that out. When I got back it was a mad dash to coordinate the celebrity blood drive to assist the earth quake victims in Haiti. We filmed the PSA for that (not as easy as looks - it had to be written, filmed, location scouting, editing, music, wardrobe - it was a real project!). Just before the blood drive actually happened, I booked a supporting role in the drama "Ripped Memories" opposite the amazing Debbie Rochon, and shot it the next day. I had 12 hours to prep for it. I went straight from the Ripped Memories shoot to the Blood Drive, another 18 hour day, including set up and tear down and then later that night flew out to New York for my starring role in Joe Hollow's "Blood Struck".

I spent the first week in March shooting that, long days, great crew, amazing sets and brilliant director. In my down time I was producing single handedly the NEXT round of shooting on Red Reaper in Florida (from New York). I got to Florida, with 10 days to learn the fight sequences, find new locations for the re-shoots, train a new batch of talent and crew, kick ass and take names.


Like many writers, I re-wrote scene after scene, just prior to the scenes, in the hopes of tweaking the dialogue and making it perfect - or perhaps to clarify some story point that may have been glossed over by a missed shot, or a missed performance. Or to drive home a point that didn't seem so important in the 32nd draft, but suddenly seems colossally important. I clearly remember, before each scene, adamantly declaring "THIS! Is the the most important scene in the film!" And I meant it. Every time.

I spent the whole month of March on the road, between NY and Florida. And somehow, doing the job of 14 people - with the help of my amazing friends, who also did the job of 14, I muddled through.

April saw the return of Tara Cardinal, the wrestler, the introduction of the "Scream Queen Tag Team" and the knock down drag out prep for my nude waterfall fight scene with former WWE Wrestler Al Snow. My ass and the gym became hot lovers, never getting enough of each other.  Chickens and egg whites feared me. Broccoli quaked at the sound of my name.

The Spring was fraught with conventions. Jesse Kozel (check out his film Candy!), Devanny Pinn and I drove out Texas Frightmare Weekend. I got an exclusive interview with Jesse Moran III, mayor of Moran Texas (youtube my friends, youtube!). Devanny and I were also guests at Creations Weekend of Horrors, AND Rockin Comicon. I mind-melded with Comic Book Divas, my amazing sponsor and the creator of my new Super Heroine - Amazonia. The posters and trading cards went live, and sold like wildfire at the cons. I even gave an autographed copy to the legendary Stan Lee.

And in the mean time, I ate my broccoli and did my squats.

I helped co-produce a short film for Devanny's "Trial by Terror", which fell through at the last minute. Not to worry though - we spun it around, made it a feature based on the short written by Brandon Slagle, and came up with a masterpiece that got all 3 of our female cast nominations for best actress and best supporting actresses, and the beautiful Deneen Melody walked away with the win! (Devanny and I were both runner up - a huge feat considering we were both co-producing the project).

My role in Song of Shattered, a project I haven't spoken about publically until now... is the mentally retarded ward of Devanny's character. Playing a special needs character was as rewarding as it was terrifying. The majority of concern was portraying a multifaceted character with needs, goals, desires, and fears. Not just a "disability". Big Daddy Horror reviews, and Nerd Remix both gave my performance rave reviews. That helps me sleep at night.

Within a week of wrapping Song of the Shattered, where I was co-producer and actress, I was rolling camera again on Legend of the Red Reaper. This time with the BIGGEST, BADDEST, LARGEST crew and location this film has ever seen. We had dozens of construction crew building a 30 foot waterfall in Rockland County NY. Control freak Tara (that's me) was on set EVERY day, watching the men, cheering them on, running to home depot. It was 105 degrees every day and I worked like hell to discard the fragile, shy, Melanie character from Song of the Shattered, and become one with my inner Hell Bitch - the Red Reaper.

I flew out Al Snow (yes, the Al Snow - one of the few men I can safely do a fight like this with - with out hurting him), and we danced around that waterfall like we stole it. He picked me up over his head, and threw me through the air like a rag doll. I hit the water, fell all the way to the ground - bounced and popped right back up for take 2. The water must have been 55 degrees - freezing. He suplexed me (yeah, it hurt - but I'm tough like taffy). I did a flying back flip out of the water and kicked him in the face (he had it coming!).

Of course, I also shot the tender love scene with Eris (David Mackey). A scene from which I still have scars (you'll have to watch the film to find out WHY I have scars from a love scene).



I wrapped the film, wrapped the set, drove my actors to the airport, and flew back to LA the next day. Just 3 days later the trailer premiered at Viscera film festival, along with select scenes from Song of the Shattered.

Now, came the big post production push. I also booked the lead role in Brenda Fies' amazing project "Faux". They were kind enough to give me a producer credit on that, but really all I did was find a location.


I was asked to produce a film about a female wrestler called "The Sessionist". I've been working like crazy to get this project off the ground and flying - so far so good.

I'm also in development on a new project, loosely based on Stephen King's Misery. I've been actively developing the story (to be written by Arielle Jayme, daughter of Hollywood author Tess Jayme). Directed by Josh Eisenstadt.

I spent a week at AFM, watching the brilliance of Mr. Lloyd Kaufman, who sponsored my appearance yet again. He was kind enough to make me a part of his press conference and I'm in negotiations to be the spokesmodel for TromaDance 2011.

Josh wrote me a special part in his film "Spreading Darkness" (it's not a horror!) as the wife of A list actor Eric Roberts (yes, Julia's brother), which began filming 2 weeks ago. In fact - I'm headed out the door in just a minute to finish up this round of shooting.

Faux premiered as a work in progress at BleedFest, where I appeared as a VIP guest. 

And I'm working on post for Red Reaper, the sequel (written by the super talented Shayne Leighton), and a novel and a comic book.


Speaking of novels - this post has turned into one.
So, if you've liked reading this, please leave a comment, or click maniacally on any of the ads, so I can buy something pretty for Xmas

1 comment:

  1. You know, I feel like I've been on this ride with you since we had our first late night conversation to get you on set the very next day for "Ripped Memories"!
    I'm so happy to call you not only one of the most talented actors I've worked with, but I'm very happy to call you a friend.

    Thank you for being a Huge part of my 2010! Here's to a amazing 2011!

    ReplyDelete